Developing HR Fundamentals - ONLINE
NEHRA’s virtual Developing HR Fundamentals Program provides HR professionals who are new to the HR field, are moving from a specialist to a generalist role, or who work within smaller organizations and wear many hats, with a solid foundation for a well-rounded career in human resources. This program provides virtual instruction over two full days, as well as interactions and sharing through a community portal; enabling participants to be engaged prior to, throughout, and after the program. A program facilitator will also lead pre and post program activities as well as be online throughout the 2-day class to act as a guide and reference during the modules.
The online community portal will provide access to:
· Any articles and white papers shared by facilitators
· A glossary of HR terms
· A listing of recommended books and websites/blogs
· A forum for sharing best practices and addressing common HR challenges
· A place to keep connected with your program colleagues
Pre-Program and Post-Program collaboration via the community portal enables for more robust and fulfilling two-day sessions.
Prior to the modules, participants will be asked to contribute to discussions posted on the community portal. These discussions include, but are not limited to:
· Goals for attending session
· HR challenge faced in current role
After the virtual sessions end, participants will continue to interact and engage with each other as well as program facilitators. In addition to posting their own challenges, best practices to share, and other questions on the community portal; participants will also be asked to share:
· Take-aways from the sessions
· Action planning activities
· Participate in a discussion on how they applied their learnings back on the job
The community portal will be accessible for program participants for a 6-month period after the program ends.
The two-day class enables participants to learn from industry experts who will share theory, key information and practice across four (4) key areas of HR responsibility:
Module 1: Talent Management - Tracy Burns, CEO, NEHRA
This session provides a foundation for managing talent within the organization, a key responsibility for HR professionals. This session covers the role of HR in talent management, enabling for achieving the strategic goals of the organization and ensuring the right people are brought on board at the right time.
Participants will learn best practices, tools and techniques around:
· Workforce planning
· Talent acquisition – from hiring to interviewing to selecting through to onboarding new hires
· Employee development
Module 2: Compensation Fundamentals - Dave Weaver, President, Compensation and HR Group
This session enables participants to learn and apply basic elements of a total compensation system. Such systems, when well-planned and implemented, enable for a total rewards package that attracts, motivates and retains top talent in the organization.
Participants will learn:
· Considerations and the intersection of base pay, incentives and differentials in employee compensation
· Participants will be able to participate in an online benefits session after the program ends.
Module 3: Compliance and Employment Law - Dan Klein, Partner, Seyfarth Shaw
This session provides participants with key facts about federal, state, and local legislation with which organizations must comply; reducing risk in organizations when rules and regulations are followed. This key module enables for an improved understanding of the responsibility of HR as it relates to various legislation and regulations.
Participants will learn:
· Applicable employment laws that impact organizations
· Conducting and using background checks
· Pre-employment considerations
Module 4: Employee Relations - Gina Abudi, President, Abudi Consulting Group, LLC & NEHRA DHRF Program Facilitator
This session covers key considerations in developing and maintaining employee-employer relationships that contribute to productivity, engagement, and morale. Best practices in how to identify and manage through conflict as well as communicating in ways that works to engage employees are shared in this session.
Participants will learn:
· Techniques to prevent and resolve employee problems that can affect work situations
· Their communication style and how to use that information effectively when communicating with and engaging employees
· Best practices to identify and resolve conflicts in the workplace
Closing Activity: Summary, Wrap up and Action Planning - Gina Abudi, President, Abudi Consulting Group, LLC & NEHRA DHRF Program Facilitator
Action planning will be done at the end of the second day, enabling participants to detail how they will apply what they learned in the two-day program back on the job. Participants will be provided an action plan template to capture learnings from the program as well as to detail their next steps.
With experienced faculty instruction, the program is a great balance of theory and practice - and will prepare you for a well-rounded career in human resources management.
The Developing HR Fundamentals program is ideal for:
- Experienced HR professionals who want to move from specialist to generalist
- Professionals who are new to the HR field and need a more sophisticated understanding of the core functions of Human Resources Management
- Managers in small organizations who are wearing many hats, including HR Managers
Day One -
8:30 – 9:00: Opening Remarks, Participant Introductions and Introduction to the HR Profession
9:15 – 12:15: Module #1 - Talent Management
12:15 – 1:00: Offline Break for Lunch
1:00 – 4:00: Module #2 – Compensation Fundamentals
Day Two -
8:30 – 12:00: Welcome Back and Module #3- Compliance and Employment Law
12:00 – 1:00: Offline Break for Lunch
1:00 – 4:00: Module #4 - Employee Relations & Closing Activity
4:00: Program Concludes
Cost - due to the COVID-19 situation, this program will be held virtually; each participant will receive a $300 credits along with their registration rate to be used towards a future NEHRA Event (does not include the Annual D&I Gala or World at Work Programming, and cannot be transferred to another registrant).
$949 Non-Members (includes one-year NEHRA Membership)
NEHRA Registration Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be received in writing at least 3 days prior to the workshop in order to receive a refund.
This program has been approved for 12.0 General Credit Hours.